best method for removal of kline grass

I have found that kline grass is poisonus to horses......so I must remove it from
a one acre paddock. It is a fairly thick growth.
I can plow it under this January.... but, should I burn it first?
Or, is there a better method?
After removal, what do you suggest as a replacement grass?

Wise County Texas

I would suggest burning the pasture this winter prior to greenup. After greenup, allow the grass to attain a height of at least 8-10 inches and then apply 4-5 quarts of glyphosate per acre to destroy the existing plants. Kleingrass has some tolerance to glyphosate, thus the reason for the high application rate.

This treatment will manage the existing plants, but there will be a tremendous amount of seed to produce seedlings for the next several years. You will have to be diligent to manage new plants with glyphosate spot-treatments.

Once you have made the first glyphosate application, agressively disk the site and establish your forage of choice. Not knowing where you are located prevents me from making a species choice. Again, management with glyphosate will likely be necessary for several years.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Larry