Norfolk Island Pine

I received a small Norfolk Island Pine tree and sent a question to the company that grows these. They are not familiar with our area and sent me your e-mail address. I would like to know if I can transplant this to a larger pot, will it survive out on my deck and can it survive if planted in the ground? I live in Mesa. Thank you.

Maricopa County Arizona trees and shrubs houseplants horticulture

We apologize for the delay in answering. We are not yet fully staffed with eXtension experts in the area of your question.

Norfolk pines are a zone 10 hardy plant. I looked at the map of Arizona and I wasn't exactly sure where you fell in Mesa. There are several zones in Arizona. I have posted a fact sheet on your pine below. You will have to ask your county extension to find out what the zone is for sure in your area.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/st083

If it is not cold hardy for your area, you could still plant it in a planter that you can bring into the garage for protection during the winter.

I apologize for not being able to be more specific.