We have just started our Irish Dexter herd and have 3 heifers, all under a...

Asked December 13, 2012, 7:47 AM EST

We have just started our Irish Dexter herd and have 3 heifers, all under a year old. We used to raise dairy goats, but got out of them due to the time they required. What types of worms/parasites are common to our area (Toronto, OH) for cattle and what is the recommended treatment/prevention? Also what vaccines are recommended?

Jefferson County Ohio

Hi Zeek, Thank you for contacting the extension office. Brown stomach worm and lice are common among cattle in our area. You are going to want to pick up a product called Cydectin to worm your cattle. Jefferson Landmark (www.jeffersonlandmark.com)should have this product. It will control internal and external worms/parasites, as well as lice and mites.I would strongly advise becoming involved with the Jefferson County Livestock Association. If you would like more information on events or membership please call Jefferson Landmark (Bloomingdale location) at (740) 944-1971 and ask to speak with Jeff Wood. Jeff is a great resource! Jeff and I are putting together a Beef School. We will bring in livestock specialists to speak on common beef cattle questions/concerns. In addition, I would strongly advise developing a relationship with a vet in your area. He/she can help you set up a vaccination plan.Also, please let me know if you would like to be added to our Jefferson County OSU Extension mailing list. Thank You, Sarah Cross Agriculture and Natural Resource Educator OSU Extension - Harrison and Jefferson Counties
Jefferson County740-264-2212e-mail: cross.421@osu.edu