pickling Jerusalem artichokes

Asked December 12, 2012, 10:38 AM EST

I just harvested more Jerusalem artichokes than I could ever use. I was hoping to preserve them for the holidays and give them as presents. The pickle recipe on the NCHFP webpage really intimidated me--the artichokes are brined in a vinegar/salt mixture (no water) for 24 hours and then they are pickled in a pure vinegar (no water) brine with 12 pounds of sugar! It looks far too acid and too sweet. Any other recommendations? I am looking for pickles, chutneys, relishes--any way to preserve them with less than 12 pounds of sugar! I found lots of recipes on the Internet, but I don't know if any of them are safe.

Washtenaw County Michigan food safety food processing home food preservation

Hello Hester,
Please go to the National Center for Food Preservation at: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/artichoke_pickles.html and use the reliable recipe there.
Don't be intimidated these sound great and what a neat gift to give! They will be very festive w/ the red pepper added to each jar. You are right to be concerned about getting safe recipes off the internet and glad that you contacted eXtension with this question. If you have questions don't hesitate to call me at 517-439-9301 or e-mail me at nicho115@msu.edu.
Jeannie