Water usage per acre for veg gardens

Hi there, I am wondering if you can give me an estimate of water usage per acres for typical vegetable gardens in the Willamette Valley. Sincerely, Sarah Sarah Murphy Santner Water Efficiency Coordinator Portland Water Bureau 1120 SW 5th Ave., Room 600 Portland, OR 97204 Phone: (503) 823-7444 Email: sarah.santner@portlandoregon.gov www.portlandoregon.gov/water

Multnomah County Oregon fruits and vegetables horticulture

Thank you for your question to Ask the Expert.

Vegetable crops typically require 1" of water per week and more when it is very hot. Depending on weather, irrigation needs to be provided starting in May and through September (22 weeks). Rounding up to 24 weeks = about 2 acre feet of water is needed for a season for 1 acre. More or less water might be needed depending on the weather.

If drip irrigation like T-tape is used, then the surface area supplied by water would be less because 1/4-1/3 of the surface area would be occupied by paths. Thus, you could expect a bit less water to be used.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Weston