Planting wheat in December?!

I'd still like to plant a small crop of wheat for the 3rd graders at our school(not as cover crop but to harvest the seed), so is there a variety that can be planted this late? If so, where can I get the seeds ASAP?!

Multnomah County Oregon field crops wheat

Thank you for your question to Ask the Expert. It is too late in the season to plant seeds. Soil temperatures are low and germination will be very slow at this time. In general, try to plant winter cover crops or grains by the end of September so that germination will be rapid and you get a stand established before cold and wet weather sets in for the winter. You might choose to cover your beds with burlap sacks or mulch to protect the soil for the winter and get an early start in the spring at which time vegetables could be planted. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Weston