Group_avatar_placeholder_01 community planning and zoning

(This group currently has 14 experts available to answer questions)

Questions asked to this group

Parcel Combination with platted and unplatted lots

Sec. 104. A replat of all or any part of a recorded subdivision plat may not be approved or recorded unless proper court action has been taken to vacate the original plat or the specific part thereof, with the following exceptions: (a) When all the owners of lots which are to be part of the replat agree in writing thereto and record the agreement with the register of deeds, and proof that notice to the abutting property owners has been given by certified mail and the governing body of the municipality in which the land included in the recorded plat is situated, has adopted a resolution or other legislative enactment vacating all areas dedicated to public use within the proposed replat. (b) Assessors plats made, approved and recorded as provided for in sections 201 to 213. (c) Urban renewal plats authorized by the governing body of a municipality, as provided in Act No. 344 of the Public Acts of 1945, as amended. Roads, streets, alleys and other public places shall be vacated in accordance with the provisions of law. History: 1967, Act 288, Eff. Jan. 1, 1968;Am. 1969, Act 308, Imd. Eff. Aug. 14, 1969. Popular name: Plat Act Popular name: Subdivision Control So my question is does a lot on the edge of the plat with unplatted land next to it have to go through the courts for replat if it is only his lots being replated to encompass the unplatted area he/she owns? The question came up as in sec 104 (a): that if notice was given and the township made a motion they could replat the plat. I told them I thought this was more for vacation of alleyways, roads, or public areas, but would look into it. I had spoken with equalization who seemed to back up that replat could only occur by going through circuit court. I also read your previous question you answered on and I figured I would just ensure the exceptions meant what I thought they did. Thank you for your time and thank you for your response.

Manistee County MI community planning and zoning zoning and land use regulation Posted 17 days ago

Info on Mobility accessible travel

I am looking for sources of nformation about "mobility accessible" travel.

In a hotel, I do not need "wheelchair access", but I do need some accommodations. I need bars at the toilet and in the shower. When I am outside of my room, I use a walker or trekking poles. However, I walk around the room without assistance.

The term "mobility assistance" is appearing more in hotel listings. I have not seen a clear definition of what constitutes "mobility assistance" so I have made a list of some of the things that might lead to that term. Some of these are:

1. The usual limitations of a reasonably healthy, out-of-shape 76-year-old man,

2. Balance issues requiring stability assist when walking around. This is the biggest problem and is the underlying cause of some of the other things listed.

3. I must avoid things that cause imbalance like cobblestone streets, severely cracked pavement, high steps to a curb, stairs without handrails, slippery conditions

4. I can negotiate the stairs as long as there are handrails.
I routinely go up/down flights of stairs with 10-15 steps. I can also handle multiple staircases as long as there is some sort of flat space between each fight.

5. I do not use escalators or moving sidewalks.

6. I am somewhat limited in how far I can walk or stand without getting tired.

a. I can drive, get into and out of cars, and get on/off busses.
b. In airports, I use a wheelchair or cart to deal with long distances.
c. Once at the gate I can move about without assistance. I can go down/up the ramp to the airplane. I can get on/off the plane. While on the plane I can move around without a walker or my poles.
d. Getting on/off cruise ship tenders and other boats requires assistance.
e. I can not carry or pull luggage but I do transport items using sling bag.

I could probably list other things, but that's enough for now. It is somewhat depressing to create the list.

Dane County WI wheelchair accessible accessibility Posted 5 months ago

Citizen's contesting a repeating

Can I as a citizen of Muskegon contest in court the replatting of lake frontage on Muskegon Lake to a local developer.?It is going to court for the judge to decide if the City can give away our Lake frontage adjacent to their property.

Muskegon County MI zoning and land use regulation land use public policy Posted 8 months ago

Help on joining properties

I want to buy some agricultural land that is against my residential land is it possible to combine the 2? The assessor told me plotted and unplotted land I would need a lawyer and would be difficult to do and cost me about 50k. Does this sound correct? Seems like a difficult process for 2 acres of land.

Monroe County MI Posted about 1 year ago

self created lot

I am mastercitizen planner in michigan and questions have arose on if a lot split was self created and was never resolved because of passage of time can it become legal in zoning laws

Charlevoix County MI community planning and zoning zoning citizen planner Posted about 1 year ago


Can an access easement be abandoned if it was created more than 50 years ago and never used? We found documentation of the easement created in 1944, but it has not physically been used and was not in the legal description for many, many years.

Muskegon County Michigan zoning and land use regulation Posted over 1 year ago

Master Plan Amendment

We have a very good (in our opinion) Master Plan with an intense 'fact-book'. It is admittedly written in a format and with language that is not easily interpreted by the average layperson 'citizen planner' / planning commissioner. There are several amendments that are needed. As we prepare for our community outreach we are concerned that as written, the MP language is quite complicated. Is it possible to write an abbreviated Master Plan (think instruction manual for the EVERYDAY reader) that will incorporate all of our existing work. The current MP and fact book are full of very useful / technical information that we don't want to lose but our PRIMARY mission is in producing a document that will NOT sit on the self because we're afraid to use it.

Ottawa County Michigan community planning and zoning Posted almost 2 years ago

Lot Mergers

Is it legal to merge two taxable parcels across a pathway easement or roadway easement created by an old platted subdivision?

And is there state law or regulations that addresses this issue?

Washtenaw County Michigan zoning and land use regulation easements subdivision land division act Posted almost 2 years ago

Marshland questions

Who do I ask about the multi-acre marsh on my property? How do I know, and/or where do I find out what I am permitted to do with it? I would like to prevent it's spread and improve it for wildlife, if that's possible or legal. I don't know much about marshland besides what you see, and I would like to know my options. Thank you for any information, even if it's to tell me that you can't help me. Thanks again!

Jackson County Michigan zoning and land use regulation zoning wetlands wetland protection wetland delineation Posted almost 2 years ago

Usage of Michigan Land Act 0f 1997 rules

I bought a tract of land in Livingston County, Michigan in 2008 that consists of three separate parcels, each has a Tax ID # and I’ve been paying property taxes based on three separate tax bills since I purchased the property. My question involves determining the number of splits and parcels I have available under the Michigan Land Act of 1997. Is it legal under the LDA of 97 to consider each parcel separately and add those results together to determine the legal number of parcels that I can subsequently sell? As background, two of the three parcels were created in 1994 and the third in 2000.

Livingston County Michigan zoning and land use regulation Posted almost 2 years ago