Michigan-county-map_medium MI Land Use

(This group currently has 7 experts available to answer questions)

Questions asked to this group

How to start a Housing Co-Op

My friends and I want to start a housing co-op. We have already picked out a property and have enough money between us for a loan. How would we go about the rest?

Washtenaw County Michigan Posted 8 days ago

ehics and conflict of interest marijuana provisioning center conflict

I have a township board member that is voting, approving, denying telling me to stop asking question during public comments.
The township was allowing 2 provisioning centers. 1st was taken in May 2018, 2nd June 2018. Then the board members family, a prominent business in the township, wanted a license so the board accepted there application at another board members house on the 4th of July and created a 3rd spot saying that there was confusion between when the 2nd and 3rd applications were turned in. I am selling my business and signed an agreement in January 2019 on condition of getting a provisioning center spot in the township. In January at the board meeting we asked for a 4th spot and was told no. We had read the ordinance and discussed the ordinance with the Clerk. We asked him if all applicants had met the 30 day rule. We had to explain to him the rule.
Ordinance says "applicant fills out application pays the 5 k fee to receive conditional authorization.
Within 30 days from conditional authorization from the township the applicant must submit proof to the clerk that the applicant has applied for prequalification from the State for a state operating license or has submitted a full application for such license. If the applicant fails to submit such proof, then such conditional authorization shall be cancelled by the clerk.
Clerk said no the 2nd applicant had not. We dont think 1st applicant did either. At the January board meeting we asked the board to create a 4th position and was told NO. At this time we pointed out the 30 day rule in the ordinance and that app 2 did not turn in the required papers. The board had no idea about this rule in there ordinance either. Again we had to explain it to the board.
The board told my buyer to fill out application pay the 5 k fee so he is in spot 4 in case one of the other 3 didn't get a license. My buyer already has a license approved by the State to use.
At the beginning of the February meeting the board gave back my buyers application fee, but check was made out to my wife, land owner on application. (ordinance says: "Any applicant waiting for future conditional authorization may withdraw their submission by written notice to the Clerk at any time and recieve refund of the initial annual fee's submitted".) My buyer did not request the money back.
At this meeting the board said they were going to give the 3 applicant time to turn in any missing papers. Again this is 8 months after the applications were accepted by the township and my buyers application was accepted. When asked how long they would be given the board would not respond.
Seeing the check was made out to my wife buyer had to go back to the township the next day for a corrected check. He talked to the township treasure which informed him that the 3rd applicants application was filled out incorrectly. (this is the board members families application).
At the March meeting I asked again how long the applicant would be given and for the exact dates the application were originally accepted and why my buyers 5 k was returned and read that part of the ordinance to them. The board just said they felt that because they didnt know the 30 day rule was in the ordinance that they was giving the 3 applicant time to turn in missing papers and to fix any mistakes on there applications. So now they had added mistakes can be fixed. They also said that they were going to make some changes and ammendments to the current ordinance and vote on it at the April meeting.
After the March township meeting the board member in question approached me and told me to stop asking questions, that they didn't need to go round and round answering questions. On my way out of the meeting I was stopped by another board member and was told that the 5 k being returned was none of my business. I told him my wifes name was on the application which made it my business and he walked away.
At the April meeting the board said they were not ready to vote and it would be put off til the May meeting. They also stopped everyone in position and will not allow them to turn in licenses that are being approved. So far 7 licenses have been approved by the state.

To me there are 3 board members involved in this Corruption, Ethics and conflict of interest.
Member that accepted the application at his house, The family member on the board and member that told me its none of my business.
I am seeking legal advice / possible representation in this matter.

Van Buren County Michigan Posted 8 days ago

Right to Farm Act

Can local municipalities require Special Use Permit for Farm Markets, U-Pick opertation and CSA or are they only allowed to regulate these with site plan review for the drainage, signage, parking and safty aspects?

Kalamazoo County Michigan community planning and zoning zoning and land use regulation Posted 9 days ago

Lot line adjustment with land across the road

Is there specific rules about About lot line adjustments adjustments with property divided by a road.? Some townships seem to count one parcel for land division even if it is divided by the road. Other townships don't seem to agree. Is there a specific location to find all the rules regarding land division?

Kalamazoo County Michigan Posted 12 days ago

michigan open meetings act regarding non profit board meetings

Can you provide guidance regarding our newly formed, Friends of Jefferson Chalmers Riverfront Parks? Board Secretary John Myers (313) 543-4351

Wayne County Michigan zoning and land use regulation Posted 13 days ago

Land division or a spilt

Im buying a parcel from the property owner next to my property we have taken .6 acres off from that parcel. We where going to add the .6 acres to my parcel and do a line adjustment. I was told by a gentleman that this is a split and not a line adjustment because there is a building on this parcel. We have plans to remove the building well.

Missaukee County Michigan Posted 22 days ago

Can I combine 2 parels into 1, if they're only separated by a road & nothing else?

My local assessor in Plainfield Twp is acting awfully suspicious, first telling me to fill out a Parcel Combination request form, and then after months of back-n-forth, he finally tells me this week at the 11th hour that suddenly it's NOT possible after all for him to combine the 2 APN's into 1! When I pressed him for a reason why, he finally vaguely claimed it's because of the state "Land Division Act" ....which really isn't a valid reason at all, mainly because this huge long document doesn't even CONTAIN the word "combine" anywhere in it! (I checked!)

My two parcels (one SFR, the other a small vacant lot) are contiguous, separated only by a small dirt road that is part of the plat, on the original subdvn map. I'm pretty sure this twp assessor is either purposely refusing to do this parcel-combination out of spite, or is just lazy and/or badly incompitent. I see dozens of examples in Kent and Montcalm county (one of which I uploaded the screen-shot here) where owners HAVE successfully combined 2 APN's together that aren't technically touching, but are separated by a road or ROW/easement strip. This is perfectly legal and standard practice, no?

Kent County Michigan Posted about 1 month ago

township meeting.

Can you be forced to speak at a podium and on camera rather than at you chair in a township meeting?

Monroe County Michigan local governance participation in public hearing Posted 3 months ago

4:1 rule

I recently went before my township zoning board to request a split of my 10 acre parcel. The parcel is 330 x 1340 and zoned A2. Several years ago the Township changed the ordinance to reduce the amount of road frontage required from 330ft to 165ft. I had a survey to split the front corner 2.5 acres thus having 2 parcels of 2.5 and 7.5 acres both with 165 ft of frontage. The zoning board denied my request for a split because the 7.5 acre parcel created violates the 4 : 1 rule in the Michigan Public Land Act.

My question is: Doesn't the zoning board exist to grant variances to The Public Land Act? They claimed that they are unable to go against this Law. Is this correct?

Thanks you.

Monroe County Michigan community planning and zoning land division act Posted 3 months ago

Conditional land use

If a conditional land use has some requirements. What happens when those requirements are violated? Does it fall under zoning ordinance violation notice or civil infraction?

Washtenaw County Michigan community planning and zoning zoning ordinance special land use Posted 4 months ago